My Anthem This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I don't believe in pretty poems
For pretty verses lie
Love is more than the pretty words
The best of lovers write

I don't believe in pretty poems
They're merely works of art
Let poets spin their painless stories
I'd rather spill my heart

I don't believe in pretty poems
They're fiction- nothing more
In pretty poems, we'll never find
The love we're looking for.

sarah98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
this is really fantastic. i understand exactly what you are saying. i have a hard time reading lovey dovey romantic poems because they just arent real. great job:)

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:38 am:
I understand what you mean---sometimes we try to write pretty things to find the romantic feeling but those poem just end up sounding hollow and empty. I like your work, post more!

KyleG This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I really REALLY like this. The meta-poetic commentary rings true. It's funny how so many of us try to find the romantic feeling we're looking for through writing. Maybe some come close, but it's never quite real. We'd probably be better off spending the time meeting new people. 

I'm curious as to why you opted not to rhyme the first stanza. Could you not find a proper word choice, or was it purposeful for effect?

I found this because I was looking for editor's c... (more »)