It's Time Somebody Told Me This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

It's time somebody told me
that my fate is not my fault.
That I didn't cause the mayhem
that made me an adult.

I wish somebody told me
that the trees aren't always green.
Every sky is a different blue
not all is what it seems.

If somebody had told me
there would be scars upon my heart
I might have even listened
and caused myself no harm.
I would have tossed away the images
of cold, unliving skin.
I would have sacrificed my hidden pride
and maybe let you in.

It's time somebody told me
to rant and scream and shout.
To see with eyes wide open
and write my words out loud.

It's time somebody told me
how much I have to give.
That I'm good enough for life
and strong enough to live.

sarah98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
this was so utterly perfect! the first two lines were captivating, and your rhyme scheme and story kept me reading tuntil the end. i just love this piece so so much.

WaffleOcean2934This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The words are so beautiful, and they strike good emotion into the reader really well.  Amazing!

IfLifeGivesYouLemonsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Well, the content is pretty good, but it's not a limerick. A limerick is 5 lines with a strict rhyming structure: The first, second, and fifth lines rhyme with each other, and the third and fourth lines rhyme with each other. It's not a bad poem, but it would be better placed somewhere else.

kaleejoy said...
Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:02 am:
This is breathtaking... Absolutely amazing. I think everyone needs to hear this sometimes.

Rachet said...
WOW, this actaully made me tear up a little, very powerful and touching! LOVED IT!

InkWriter13 said...
Jun. 14, 2012 at 8:48 pm:
Powerful message. Rings true most definitely in human nature. Lots of insight and great usage of phrases and ideas to convey this message. :D Great writing. Would you please read and comment on my poem titled "Onward and Upward"? Thx :D

logo1234 said...
I think it conveys a good direct message to the readers. Everything fits together very well. Very easy to understand and read.

xximjustmexx said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:23 pm:
okay... i never cry... ever... but this poem made me.. because i think it said everything that ive been feeling.. amazing job.. keep it up. 5/5

XxilybbyxX said...
You are so AMAZING!! you are a great writer! keep it up!! :)

Violingurl100 said...
i really loved this. honestly, i think this should go in the magazine. Keep it up!!!

leonaj said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 5:49 pm:
This is THE BEST POEM I've EVER read...so far...I'm young, so I'll problly reed more in my lifetime :) I hope yew publish MORE poemz 4 me 2 reed...Keep up the work!!!!

nikki gone fishin said...
i really liked ur poem its AMAZING it has a smooth flow and a strong message. i find it cool how some people can express feelings thru poetry and u r one of those people :) keep writing

dreamer_believerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
wow....a breathtaking piece! the flow is amazing, and everything fit together perfectly. the content of the poem itself is pure PERFECTION and it's AMAZING :) for sure one of my favorite pieces. check out some of my work if you could, i would love your opinion. but i really LOVE this piece:) 5 stars!

Emaka said...
Unbelievable. I really wish I could write like that (: