@ M0dern $trugg!e | Teen Ink

@ M0dern $trugg!e

By MJR00 SILVER, Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania
MJR00 SILVER, Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania

"But man is a part of nature, and his war against nature is inevitably a war against himself"(Rachel Carson).

"You can't save all of the shots, but you must believe you can" (Anonymous).

My cell phone had died.

Charger hidden, it is lost.

I am in despair.

Haikus are about the beauty of nature and love, but sadly, today many forget the beauty of nature and have to stare across a small, handheld screen. How many go out to the forest to admire the breathtaking views anymore? Instead  of admiring the forrest life, we pose next to it for others to admire ourselves on Instagram. We were born of nature, but we are killing it. Thus, killing ourselves. This haiku is not complicated, but it speaks for many. We have lost the true meaning of deperation and loss. We have lost so much because of the new technologies pushed into our lives, however we are frusturated when we lose them. I hope that people see the not only the sad truth and irony behind this haiku, but also realize that we are just as big a part as the phone. I hope readers understand the REAL modern struggles we face: war, prejudice, hunger, disease, corruption, pollution, and abuse.