An Addiction: Haikus and Explanations | Teen Ink

An Addiction: Haikus and Explanations

By John_S. BRONZE, Monett, Missouri
John_S. BRONZE, Monett, Missouri

"Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground"
~ Theodore Rosevelt

We sit and stare here;
You talk to me and touch me;
But I will fight back.

This haiku is putting a personification to an addiction. The first line establishes the enmity between the narrator and his/her addiction. This is established because the narrator is staring at the addiction. You don’t typically stare at something good. The second line establishes that the other person in the room is the addiction. This happens because the other person “talks” to the narrator with temptation, and “touches” him/her, perhaps on the personal level. However, on the final line, it is established that the narrator has enough of this addiction, and so he/she fights back for their freedom.

I know who you are;
Selfish, ambitious, for you;
But I have power.

This haiku is explaining an addiction. In the first line, it is established that the narrator knows what an addiction is. The second line explains its motives. The addiction is selfish, it doesn’t care about you. It is ambitious and will nag and nag until it is craved, and it doesn’t care about how it ruins your life, it just wants to be craved. However, in the final line, the narrator establishes the fact that he/she has the power to take over the addiction, a power that we all have.

As you do your craft;
Leaves have fallen beneath you;
But I am different.

This haiku contains a personification to an addiction, a metaphor of people, and motivation. The first line creates the personification of an addiction by saying that the addiction does its craft. Crafting is unique and could be done easily. An addiction takes over your life in a unique way that is so easy for it to do. The second line is a metaphor of people that have “fallen” for an addiction. As you read this line, you need to understand what the leaves past may have been. Leaves are connect to a tree as their life source. In this haiku, the leaves were taken away from their life, left to die. The leaves, or people, are also putting this addiction above them, because they are beneath it. The last line is motivational because the narrator is announcing that he/she is different, and won’t lose their life, and won’t put this addiction above them.

The following writing is a collection of haikus that I have made. Each haiku is also followed by a paragraph explaining the meaning that I have constructed. However, poetry is meant to be looked at, and questioned. These are only my thoughts, and I urge you, as you read them, to ask yourself what they mean to you. The main topic that I used for these is an addiction, but that doesn’t mean you have to think of it like hard drugs, but maybe as simply as something that takes you away from friends, family, and/or life. Enjoy.