Fairy Tale of Murder | Teen Ink

Fairy Tale of Murder

By AugustSummerFling PLATINUM, Mylapore, Chennai, Other
AugustSummerFling PLATINUM, Mylapore, Chennai, Other

'For you, a thousand times over.' - Hassan, The Kite Runner

A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit.

Once upon a time,
The moon absconded from the
Sky, trusting the stars.

A pretty maiden
Stood by the chiseled window,
Portraying the night.

The bloodshot eyes gleamed
In the unnoticed darkness,
Like the Big Bad Wolf's.

Her pink lips had lied;
Unlike Pinocchio's Sins,
Her nose stayed flawless.

The White Church bell tolled.
The Beast revealed his manja
Threads. The stars shuddered.

His hands obliged death,
Unlike Evil Queen's Huntsman,
Faithful in bidding.

Her still crimson corpse
Satiated his mind. He
Hauled her up and ran.

Red polka dots stalked
Him, like the bread crumbs left by
Hansel and Gretel.

Manja threads are abrasive strings used for kite fighting in some countries like India, Nepal, etc. They are very sharp and can easily cut into human flesh if misused.

on May. 25 2013 at 5:25 am
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Thank You! And well now they're almost over, my last exam is 10thJune but I just couldn't wait to come back here  :D And here I am. And can you imagine the number of emails I got from TeenInk all these days..I think it would take merely two hours to just open them and then an additional 10 to read all the stuff ..Gosh you guys are the best! Oh and exams went good. Well so far. Let's hope I get an A* in that last one as there are so many hols its bound to be super tough so I'll be getting back to studying but still I'm back on TeenInk and as you said "ASAP!" I missed you Kavya!

on May. 17 2013 at 4:34 am

BEST OF LUCK FOR YOUR EXAMS! I'm sure you'll do really well ;) n yes we will be even then :D *winks* and yes, get back on teen ink ASAP :) :P

on May. 7 2013 at 1:07 pm

- Maya Angelou

Oh Thanks for that! It all made it so clear... And hey... I totally look forward to reading, and you bet I will but *please don't kill me* I have exams this month so next month I'll check out all of it and I guess this time I'm gonna be the one that replies late to you, SORRY in advance,... but I guess we'll be even then lol....anyway no kidding these exams are scaring the crap out of me though I've studied all year it's my first time to sit the CIEs and well nervous duh! I have subscribed (actually long ago) so I will get all the updates on whatever you put up. Don't you worry. I'll read it and adorn it with my precious words >>.hahahah okay that's too much I guess.. Love always. Good Night.

on May. 5 2013 at 9:31 am

Hi saphira :) let me explain the stanza. Church bells are usually associated with merrymaking and joy (wedding etc.) so I wanted to make a contrast here. Here the church bell is the death knell. So the beast prepares for the murder and the stars, overlooking the murderer and the unknowing victim, are shocked by this fore coming incident. And this also symbolizes that there's no one to save the girl. Not even the stars (it's a moonless night) so death is imminent. Hope that helped. N thanks for liking the poem :) I have uploaded more poetry and put up some fiction too. Yet to be approved. Keep checking back n give me your feedback :) I really look forward to know what you think :)

on Apr. 18 2013 at 11:22 am
GleekGamer PLATINUM, Somerset, New Jersey

"Friendship isn't always easy, but there's no doubt it's worth fighting for."

Really good, great description, I loved how you took more meaning from Fairy Tales! :)

on Apr. 18 2013 at 11:17 am
Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

this packed full of so many allusions to fairytales, it was breathtaking. your imagery was perfect, and i love how it makes you think, ya know? great job!

on Apr. 18 2013 at 11:16 am
LivelyJade SILVER, Mtn. Grove, Missouri

The beautiful thing about writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon. ~Robert Cormier

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! It reminds me of Brothers Grimm with a poetic twist. :D

GreyGirl ELITE said...
on Apr. 9 2013 at 8:14 am
GreyGirl ELITE, Pohang,Kyungbuk, Other
I love this! Exquisite word choice. I love how you bring to mind many cultures and fairy tales. Not sure why this didn't get an editors choice. I think this is beautiful! Keep writing!!

on Apr. 7 2013 at 10:30 am
Hamzawaseem GOLD, Lahore, Other

"The important thing is not to stop questioning." ~Einstein

So profoundly amazing and nice done! WOW

Hanban12 ELITE said...
on Apr. 7 2013 at 10:25 am
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

HI! Ok, ill start out with I LOVE THIS POEM. The word choice is brilliant and everything flows together perfectly- also love the story. Keep writing PLEASE

on Apr. 5 2013 at 11:57 pm
Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

Awesome. Love. The. Fairy. Tails. Woven. In. Perfectly. Never. Stop. Writing. Keep. Writing. And. Always. Laugh

on Apr. 5 2013 at 11:03 pm
LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Hi there! Fourth stanza, priceless. The word choices in this are magnificent! I really like this, it's very interesting! The title and picture are very mysterious!

on Apr. 5 2013 at 8:20 pm
StarlitSunrise DIAMOND, Clemmons, North Carolina

"Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing." ~Camille Pissarro

The metaphor in this is very well done. :) I loved the lines “The Beast revealed his manja // Threads. The stars shuddered.”. Your concept is very creative, and I found it quite interesting to read.

on Apr. 5 2013 at 3:16 pm
paleteenager PLATINUM, Fountain Hills, Arizona
Although I usually don't like fantasy themes all too much, I really enjoyed this poem, specifically your descriptions.

on Apr. 5 2013 at 2:09 pm
laurengerhard SILVER, South Windsor, Connecticut

"I am gone quite mad with the knowledge of accepting the overwhelming number of things I can never know, places I can never go, and people I can never be." -Sylvia Plath

Your comparisons are beautiful. I love equating fairytale characters to things... I do it all the time in my poems. Great job!

on Apr. 5 2013 at 1:03 pm
MissExploration BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington

It Can Only Fly When It Needs To.

I love the description you give out especially with the connnection of the fairytales.

on Apr. 5 2013 at 8:29 am
readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

Very good!!!  I like how it uses some fairy tale elements.  Your word choice is astounding!  Again, good use of haiku :) and thanks for explaining what manja threads are

on Apr. 4 2013 at 2:17 pm

- Maya Angelou

WOW this is so cleverly written.... I love the fact that you wrote it in Haiku form.. You seem to be so good at this!! WHy have you shared such little poetry?? This is seriously awesome.. I get the manja thread thing but I don't seem to get the stanza,,, the 5th one.. Maybe it relates to a story I haven;t.. Is the Beast like for "Beauty and The Beast" or just literally...???  If I'm bugging too much: Sorry.. *apologetic smile*

mnm08 BRONZE said...
on Apr. 4 2013 at 1:06 pm
mnm08 BRONZE, Grande Prairie, Texas

"A writer needs the industry of an ant, the creativity of a kitten and the hid of an armadillo."- Author Unknown

this is beautifully written :) i loved the references to fairytales , great job!~

Shagun said...
on Apr. 4 2013 at 8:08 am
Great flow in your writing <3