Fluent in Dance | Teen Ink

Fluent in Dance

By KnitsandPurls GOLD, Mahtomedi, Minnesota
KnitsandPurls GOLD, Mahtomedi, Minnesota

"I cannot live without books"
--Thomas Jefferson

Dance is a language
I am learning to speak in
Syllables and steps

And leaps and letters.
The meaning of my motion
Abundantly clear

When I am fluent,
I will step on stage twirling…
Then pour out my soul.

I love to dance and to write, but this is my first stab at writing a haiku.

on Feb. 17 2013 at 8:46 am
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

All of em as in all forms of poetry.. :D

on Feb. 17 2013 at 8:44 am

- Maya Angelou

I don't believe you! Maybe what you to say was, the first one you "posted", huh? Cause it's is so beautiful I can't believe it's your first...haha okay enough with my non-believing drama... Firstly the thing I love most is your choice of words and the alliteration. I just love alliteration.... Hey and the way you show how it is a language that's beautiful too... Oh the whole AMAZING job. Do keep posting. I'll be watching out... P.S. My first Haiku is one I posted titled "Wasted",...There are many others too.. My fav one out of my own is "Smile".... I just started writing them like 15 days ago..and I love this form of poetry....Actually I love all of em....maybe you'd like to check it out..plus some other of my work...that is if you feel like it. Best Regards!

on Feb. 17 2013 at 4:15 am
TanviKusum DIAMOND, Gurgaon, Other

All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers.
Orison Swett Marden

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." - Anais Nin

we speak in hushed voices so as to not wake our memories

You seem to have mastered the art of haikus! And this is beautiful because you wrote about somehow you like doing! Beautiful description :D I feel like learning to dance

on Feb. 16 2013 at 5:02 pm
little-bird-girl GOLD, Flemington, New Jersey

"For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone."

oh my this is lovely!! I agree with everyone else who said that the beginning contrast about learning the language even though dancing is a voiceless communication. Your word choices are perfect, and I love the flow of your work, especially in the middle stanza. Stunning : )

on Dec. 10 2012 at 3:24 pm
EPluribusUnum DIAMOND, Woodbine, Maryland

"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head)."
-Sylvia Plath

I loved this! Sometimes haikus can get a little choppy as writers try to cram words into syllables into lines, but I didn't even realize what this was until I read the author's comments. This poem may be a haiku, but it stands entirely on it's own and I congradulate you for that. I wish I could give you some advice to improve this, but I'm afraid I'm at a loss.

kirsten9 GOLD said...
on Dec. 9 2012 at 1:23 pm
kirsten9 GOLD, Washington Courthouse, Ohio

Go for the gold!

Beautiful! I think the first line metaphor is incredibly good way to start it off. Then you explained it wonderfully! All your syllables were right, but I do think instead of the word 'steps' in the first stanza, you should switch it to 'tones'. I believe this would further back up your metaphor. Also, 'tones' could relate to language or dancing, whereas 'steps' just reminds me of dancing. I see what you were going for, but I think this could improve the overall idea of your composition. Lovely work!!!

on Nov. 30 2012 at 6:22 pm
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

I'm a dancer, too. I love this. I love how at the beginning you say it's a language and then say "letters" and "syllables". It's great. However, at first I though that you meant syllables in dancing... I would change it to sentences or something if I were you. Just some advice (:

on Nov. 3 2012 at 10:32 am

"I cannot live without books"
--Thomas Jefferson

Do you think you could post a quick comment? I would love to improve my work.