A Different Princess

I am no Royal,
but a Princess nonetheless
Just call me Princess

I wear not a crown---
but a tiara only
the Special can see.

Clothed in denim,
Black I love, but pink I like
I wear boots, not heels.

I am no useless
maiden---imprisoned and
beat by my own dress.

Princess in disguise
I am---many look at me
not really seeing.

A solid mind and
a pure heart---I present as
my precious treasures.

Not Snow White, nor a
Sleeping Beauty---I depend
on myself alone.

Sweet Prince Charming,
please step aside--I am no
damsel in distress.

I fight my own wars,
battle my enemies, and
face my worst fears.

I want to be a
brave heroine---the girl that
is like no other.

See not just my rough
exterior---view past what
your eyes have told you.

Even now as I
have changed---I still believe
my dreams will be true.

Magic is not just
in fairy tales---I make it
happen on my own.

Don't underestimate
or call me silly dreamer--
prevail I will do.

Do not attempt to
change who I am---forever
I will be Jasmine.

pandagirl312 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really like this. It is true that the ideas of a "princess" have changed. I liked the Sleeping Beauty and Snow White references because they are a traditional fairy tale too. Not so much with Jasmine...I didn't like that end refernece as much. Plus, leaving it open allows the reader to interpret how they will. I love the use of the hyphens here (a — would be better next time). Overall, a very strong piece. One of my new favorites. :)

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:05 am :
Thank you! I just saw that my poem was on your favorites list---that´s awesome, thanks so much!!  

LoudDreamerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 1:51 pm:
wow..... that is the longest haiku I ever read...(but IM one to talk, if you've ever read anything by me, you'd know Im the most longwinded person in the world) It is well written, though, and has powerful message. Great job!

Feb. 4, 2012 at 5:23 pm :
Thanks for commenting.

SkyyeTrekkThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm:
THIS IS WONDERFUL!!!! I LOVE it!!! love the message!! I love the style you used to write it! 5 stars, definitely 5 stars :-D

Feb. 4, 2012 at 5:10 am :
Thank you so much~