Sisters

A hairbrush broken
But friendship never withers
The soul of sisters

Gabriela said...
Savannah, although your late Aunt Linda was 6 years older than me, we were very close, and you have captured the sister relationship beautifully.  The simplest things -- like sharing a hair brush -- highlight the intimacy between sisters that can scarcely ever be replicated outside family life.  Well done, and thank you!

Jane_P This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 10:40 am

I know. I think the key to enjoying life is to appreciate the little things along the way.

"Our Lord needs from us neither great deeds nor profound thoughts. Neither intelligence nor talents. He cherishes simplicity." St. Theresa of Lisieux.

S_Oehvren_Wayfarer replied...
Simplicity can be the most elegant form of beauty, like silence the most striking of sounds. 

Gabriela replied...
Love that quote from St. Theresa on simplicity.  I will add, God also needs our love. :D

S_Oehvren_Wayfarer replied...
Yours, too, Gabriela.  God does need our love.  I never thought about it that way.

S_Oehvren_Wayfarer said...
I meant did the hairbrush "represent" or serve as the vehicle for some other conflict.

S_Oehvren_Wayfarer said...
Very intriguing work.  What was so special about the hairbrush, or did the hairbrush a vehicle in some other conflict?  Keep up the great work!

Well, if you've ever seen sisters fight over a hairbrush or something else equally stupid (but yet so important!), you'll know what I mean. I guess if you want to speak in metaphors the hairbrush represents a simple fight, but sisters love each other forever, no matter what.

S_Oehvren_Wayfarer replied...
Irresistible forces, immovable objects, both of you no doubt.   Haiku best exemplifies poetry as the art of metaphors. 

aub13zzz said...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 11:26 am
i love it! i have two older sisters, not to mention a twin sis as well! i can totally connect with the meaning of the haiku... i thought it was nice and simple, and very lovely... keep up the good work! :)

Thanks! You have a twin sister too? That is so amazing. Twin sisters are the best for sure. Thanks again for your comment, it's very well appreciated. I particularly like this haiku most. ^^