A Story of Haikus

“Abomination!”
They scream as he passes by,
So off he goes to hide

Family asking why
He would trade his soul for sin
Can’t he ignore it?

“It’s not wrong to be
But living is a disgrace
Just ignore it, son”

Words from the old book
From all their mouths fly
Words he does not believe

Ignoring the words
He heads back into the world
Hiding not a thing

Little does he know
The world is not a kind place
Scorn and disgust reign

Cut by the insults
He constructs a mask and cloak
Paints them dark as night

Gazing at the mirror
He adjusts his shadowed clothes
Slips back in the world

One day he’ll enter
Without his disguise
And what of him will we see?

Idiosyncratic
Individualistic
Proud

sweetheart1998 said...
Sept. 23, 2012 at 11:17 am:
i love this

BoosflashThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
i love this captain. i dont know why i didnt comment on it already. oh...wait...what do you know,...I did. well, guess what...I like it again. do your dance captain.

Karma_Chameleon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 8, 2011 at 8:10 pm :
:D Well thanks! I appreciate it!

This is amazing captain. i love the continuing haikus and the concept. i also love how this wasn't published in the magazine. *sarcasm. (wink,wink) do your dance captain.

Oct. 2, 2010 at 1:26 pm :
Thank you kindly! I appreciate it!

hebrews12v1 said...
Wow! You've obviously got some writing talent, crawfordkid. Really engaging story.

hebrews12v1 replied...
Aug. 23, 2010 at 9:30 pm :
I have to say what really caught my attention is that this man is a victim of judgemental people, and the victim has nowhere to go, because all the supposedly good people are too busy judging instead of being there for the man like they're supposed to be. That's where witness is.

Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:14 pm :
Thanks, I appreciate it!

fahreekin-crazy said...
Aug. 17, 2010 at 8:50 am:

Hey crawfordkid! It sort of reminds me of The Phantom of the Opera-- the mystery, the suspense, and how even though we are drawn to the subject, and feel sorry for him, we wonder what about him brings about disgust, and are wary.

I really love your writing style, and I've read some of your posts in forums. You seem really cool and have alot of the same opinions as I do (for example, Ayn Rand= life).

Shoot me an email at lifetime.gal123@yahoo.com (:

Sept. 15, 2010 at 5:18 pm :
Hey there! Sorry this reply took so long in coming, but my email has been really strange lately, and I just got the notification that I got a comment (two claps for technology, haha).
Anyway, thanks so much for the comment, I really appreciate it!  And I'll definitely shoot you an email, any one who loves Ayn Rand is certainly awesome in my book!
~Karma_Chameleon, aka Crawfordkid
=)

DreamWriter15 said...
This cut me to the heart from the first line (though I've already told you) and while I love the way you've constructed it, the way you've expressed your feelings over the matter, and the piercing quality all the way through, I sincerely hope this isn't what will happen.  But that's a story for another site....awesome writing, as always.  :-)  Love you!  Five stars!

crawfordkid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 6, 2010 at 11:16 am :
Thanks DreamWriter.

DreamWriter15 replied...
Aug. 6, 2010 at 11:37 pm :
You're always welcome.

RaisaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 1:15 pm:
It all made sense, which is very hard to do with haikus. Kudos for that! And I liked the word choice and the ending was really awesome. Overall, AMAZING!

Aug. 6, 2010 at 11:16 am :
Thank you, I appreciate it! =)

crawfordkid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 3, 2010 at 2:06 pm:
In the third haiku, the words "be" and "living" should be italiziced. The meaning is a bit more clear with that emphasis.

Eilatan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 9:46 am:
This is really cool. I wrote something in the same format in fifth grade, but no one really got it. I like yours through- it has a good story, and I like the ending.

Asianflowers replied...
Jul. 1, 2010 at 5:06 pm :
Very nice! I really like this format, it's interesting to see it come together. I love the ending, and it's good to know that about yourself, and get it off your chest. Awesome! 5 stars

Jul. 3, 2010 at 10:13 am :
Thanks guys! I appreciate it!