Far (The Danba Trilogy III) | Teen Ink

Far (The Danba Trilogy III)

February 22, 2023
By SunAndMoon_ SILVER, Shenzhen, Other
SunAndMoon_ SILVER, Shenzhen, Other
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
When life gives you lemons, make lemonades!


Far

Sonorous, immersed

Esteemed, amiable, she

Echoes, resonance


The author's comments:

I was absolutely not expecting myself to get inspired by the musical culture of Danba. By filming on the concept of the musical culture, my friends and I interviewed Aunt KangGao. She was the sole inheritor of the intangible cultural heritage for Danba’s traditional and unique folk song called Dingmou. The melody was mainly strophic song of two or three phrases, simple and unsophisticated. With our hopeful eyes, Aunt KangGao demonstrated to us the folk song. Initially, she was a bit shy in front of the camera, but as she unwrapped her voice and started singing, the whole room echoed with her voice. “Sonorous, immersed/Esteemed, amiable, she/Echoes, resonance” were the best adjectives I could describe her, and that was another haiku “Far”. The adjectives floated out of my mind unconsciously, and the poem was immediately composed after I got back to the guesthouse. It was the first time I felt the power of music on the spot, and was amazed with how the words were gathering around my head quickly. Aunt KangGao’s impressive voice brought my ears and souls to the next level, which it was definitely mesmerizing listening to her singing on live. She later explained to us what the folk song she just sang meant, as it was in the Tibetan language, and I understood that the songs could present a lot of functions, for example expressing beliefs, entertaining, spreading skills. It indeed contained comprehensive meaning and profound allegory, making me felt respectful towards her and honored to hear such singing more.