Don't Grow Up | Teen Ink

Don't Grow Up

June 9, 2018
By BrookeHi BRONZE, Bridgeton, New Jersey
BrookeHi BRONZE, Bridgeton, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Reinvent love." - Ryan Ross


Tiny porcelain princess sprawled in my arms yearning for undivided attention, so perfect and pure.

Go ahead and cry little girl, you have nothing to worry about, all your needs are tended to hand and foot.

 

Older. She gets older. Learning how to talk now, she's always asking politely for whatever she needs, even if it doesn't quite make sense.

Go ahead and ask little girl, you'll have everything you will ever want in the palm of your doll hands.

 

She glides past me with a bicycle now, after her many trials and errors. She always claims to love the wind in her hair and the dirt from when she falls.

Go ahead and get dirty little girl, you'll always have a bath afterward.

 

It's middle school time for her now, her spark is so bright and her interest in learning seems to drive her forward.

Go ahead and learn little girl, school is free for you right now.

 

The spark died by the time she hit high school. I often wonder where I went wrong. She cries again, but this time not for attention.

Go ahead and cry little girl, you aren't in the real world yet.

 

High school progressed, things only got worse for my porcelain princess. Her tiny doll hands were always hidden behind long sleeves, masking the cuts made in her paper skin.

Go ahead and bleed little girl, it can only improve from here.

 

College began, nothing was better, and everything escalated. My sweet baby girl now hid her thighs, for she had too many regrets. Her thoughts grew darker and soon there was no more sun.

Go ahead and sulk, little girl, you'll be alright, you have a perfect life.

 

College never finished for my princess. She had too many demons and wanted to go home, but not to me. 3, 2, 1... blink and she's gone, her blood on the dorm floor.

Go ahead and die, little girl, I know how much you wanted to leave.


The author's comments:

This poem is about a mother watching her daughter grow up and go through depression. Throughout the poem, she brushes off obvious signs and decides the daughter will get over it because real life is harder than what she's going through.