I am here | Teen Ink

I am here

May 24, 2018
By VirginiaNavarro BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
VirginiaNavarro BRONZE, Thornton, Colorado
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

What if tomorrow is our last day?

Who will be there to care for our family?

Where were you?

“I was on the other side.”

“Fighting for a new beginning, in a place I am not wanted.”

“I was on the other side.”

“Having a better chance here than I did back home. The place I was loved.” 

Where were you?

“I was walking through hell, with only two gallons of water to spare.”

“I had to be quieter than a church bell, taking time to sending a few prayers to make it.” 

"Taking a deep breath of air, I suck up the pain and poison, as I was bit. Not bit by freedom but by a rattle snake. The snake I had to kill with a devilish look."

Where were you?

"I was at the river, relaxing."

"The brightness of the Sun setting, only for it to be replaced by the darkness brought upon by the Moon." 

"The Moon that was once said to be part of the Earth before a space object separated them."

"It separated them into different people but had the same purpose: life."

Where were you?

"I was taking care of my blisters."

"Knowing they will become scars, I give them the freedom to settle in."

"Though they are and feel foreign, like if they were from Mars, I rub my shin, easing the destruction they have caused on my body."

Where were you?

"I was alone, cold and hungry."

"Making a small fire, illuminating my meal."

"I killed two scorpions, taking their freedom. Taking a part of their family. Taking the only company, I had. Taking their life."

"I used their pinchers to finally pop the burning sensation of the blisters on my heel. Taking their freedom as well, to satisfy my needs."

Where were you?

"I was afraid."

"Scared of getting caught in a crime I knew, would be the death of me."

"I saw lights, heard dogs barking, and men yelling."

"I saw they were beating other men and women that looked just like me."

"I made a run for it." "I knew there was a possibility to get caught, but there was also a possibility for me to reach victory."

Where were you?

"I was working and studying every day." 

"I finally made it."

"I escaped hell."

"I had water."

"I had care."

"I was not cold."

"I was not scared."

"I am still alone, with a new mind, I prepare to fly through the wind. With boldness running through my veins like ecstasy, I scream. I scream for my freedom, louder than the screams from hell."