Three Far-Off Dreams | Teen Ink

Three Far-Off Dreams

May 9, 2018
By Mary71 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
Mary71 PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
25 articles 0 photos 0 comments

They are the only ones who believe in me. I am the only one who chases them. Three far-off dreams that grow and change but are still the same, like a virus. Three that are placed on a pedestal. Three that are untouched by time. From the edges of my vision, they linger, but are kind in their relentlessness.


Their goal is simple. They attack whenever they please. They infect and invade and intoxicate my soul with whispered promises and a need so powerful I’m nearly driven to insanity. This is how they inspire.


They refuse to be forgotten, like a rash that won’t be calmed, forcing my surrender to their whims and fancies. Not enough, not enough, not enough they taunt me. They coach.


When I am exhausted and out of ideas, when I fall down and don’t have the energy to get back up, they comfort me. When I feel hopeless. Three that help me back up. Three that encourage and invigorate. Three who watch as I get closer to them.


The author's comments:

Inspired by "Four Skinny Trees" from The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros.