Double Ricochet | Teen Ink

Double Ricochet

By Joenys BRONZE, Fitchburg, Massachusetts
Joenys BRONZE, Fitchburg, Massachusetts

A picture cannot tell a thousand words.
A picture can only tell as many words as the viewer sees.
A picture is snapped by a camera.
A camera can only snap what the photographer wants others to witness.

Around the world a bullet can pull multiple cords.
Around the world murder while recochette into adult charges.
Around the world it does not matter if its smallest child, the harshest past trauma.
Around the world it does not matter who you are, it matters what you have done.

Mourning takes time, time will not heal what has been caused.
Punish the gun, not who pulled the trigger.
Blame the killer not what brought him to become the killer.
It does not matter if you see both sides it matter what side the victim suffered.

A drop of blood is thicker than a drop of water.
There is always a choice, you will always be blamed for not making the right one.
In the end you’ll end as a pawn.
With chess pieces the drops of blood makes the game one of checkers.
How can you play checkers with the wrong pieces?

Will it be the same game?
Is the game unaffected by the gamer?
In the end if they were locked behind chains of metal…
Could we turn these killers tamer.
We play god.

We blame seeds when their plants because they didn’t come from the perfect soil.
We blame the plants because when they were seed birds picked at them the most.
We pick at the plant because it’s poison ivy.
We blame the plant even if we were the poison within its roots.

We are all the broots.

I just finished reading a book that has parallels with a real school shooting that is even mentioned in the book.

It made me upset. It made me hurt.

I was not supposed to read the ending yet, but I skipped to it. The shooter made me mad at first, reading the chaos at the beginning made me feel bad for the victims. The next chapter is a redemption chapter explaining how the shooter was bullied and that is how it is through the book, seeing grieving from the parent's victims then the pain the shooter went through.

There are many stories like this stories with a redemption arc for the 'antagonists'. Why? Why say there is another side to the story when the law will never change? Why make readers sympathize with the killers when the killers will have the same fate either way when the killer will never have a fair case when the killer will have the rest of his life taken away if they are caught before possible self-suicide? 

Why make the readers feel sorry for the killer for having ended their lives metaphorically when they will be judged despised the life they were born in? Why make us aware of the killer's background when all that matters is if the killer had any mental problems. If the killer's fingerprints weren't on the killing weapon. 

It won't make a change. Showing the backstory of the criminals won't change their sentences. It won't stop humans from doing what they were born to go through survival of the fittest. Adapt or die out. 

Why make us cry for the end of the victim's stories, why make us cry equally for the killer's story end, why when if the killer gets anything, but a death sentence or a lifetime in jail it causes world why outrage.

Why inflict these thoughts in my head so much to the point of making a poem?

Why must there always be a checkmate?