My Room Hates Me | Teen Ink

My Room Hates Me

By Maya29 BRONZE, South Windsor, Connecticut
Maya29 BRONZE, South Windsor, Connecticut

My room hates me.
It hates when I’m stuck in it.
It hates when I stare at its appearance,
And judge it for its plainness,
And want to change it every month.

It hates that I dance around in it.
Like its a dance studio.
“That is not me!” It cries.
“Why must you take me for something I’m not!”

It hates that I have a television in it.
And that I sit around for hours watching shows,
Not paying attention to it.
It hates that I spend days there
Doing things alone, wasting time.
Because my room has so many better things to do
Than to have me occupy it.

I am a high school student who takes a lot of difficult classes. I spend most of my time locked in my room studying and doing unconquerable amounts of homework. Often times, I spend hours staring at the walls of my room, which I like to cover with my artwork. I wonder what I am doing with my life, and what others would think about how I spend my time. These days, there are so many expectations placed on high school students, and yet people encourage us to go out into the world and have adventures while we are young. It has become so much more difficult for us to find who we are and what we want to make of ourselves with the increased pressure placed on us and the influence of technology. I feel like I live my life in my room, and I would do anything for the freedom to get out of it, burdenless. In this poem, my room is a metaphor for myself. It represents the conflicting feelings I have for myself and my plans for the future, because the more time I spend in my room, the harder it is for me to discover who I am.