A Walk | Teen Ink

A Walk

January 14, 2018
By Anonymous

I watch my breath push steam towards the sky as I walk along. I have no idea how long I’ve been walking, but it’s dark outside. The streets are empty save me and the glow of the street lamps.


I try to clear my head, but I can’t get rid of the thoughts. When I started this journey, I was completely consumed with anger, but now I’m just numb. I’m exhausted, but I keep treading along.


As I continue on, the houses along side of me become scarce, as do the lights. Soon I’m surrounded by trees, the moon and the stars the only things lighting my way. I come across a small stream. I sit down on a rock next to the water and stare at my reflection, and my reflection stares back. My anger starts to spark, and soon the familiar rage fills my body. I look up at the sky and scream.


“What did I do wrong?!” I yell. “Why did you let this happen?!” The stars stare down at me, full of pity, but they remain silent.


“What do I do?!” I plead, my voice hoarse, tears running down my face. “How do I fix this?!” The wind whispers its condolences, then it drifts away.


“Please,” I whisper, “help me. I’m lost.” The stream cries with me, but it continues to flow.


“I know she’s bad for me, but I can’t let go,” I say to the trees. They nod their heads, but refuse to share their advice.


I stay there for hours, letting the emotions I had been suppressing explode out into the world. When I’m finally out of tears, I push myself up off the rock, and look down at my reflection one more time. It looks back, and in its eyes, my eyes, I see the answer. Behind the pain, I can see the light of freedom.


“Thank you” I call over my shoulder as I turn away from the past and look towards the future.


And I walk.