Solitude and Silence

Solitude and silence. A few things I truly savored. These days, they were all I was good at. Talking was never my strong suit. Sounds bad, but I let others do all of the talking for me. I was more of a lie on the bench and stare at the sun until my eyes burned type of person. The sit on the pier and watch the waves crash at my feet type of person. But also the type of person to get left behind in the end. The one that nobody remembered and people always forgot. Listening to the same records play over and over again, watching the sunset, and then closing my eyes. That was enough for me. As I closed my eyes, I saw it all. The ocean, the streets, the night sky, the stars, the flash of color as people would pass by. They couldn’t see me, but I could see them. I walked. Maybe for hours on end, but I was never tired. It started to rain, but I didn’t feel it. Drops of rain landed into my coffee, creating a concoction I came to enjoy. I didn’t notice until the aftertaste hit me minutes later. Streets were heavy with shops and boutiques I never knew existed. Old women giving out free samples to all of the locals. The smell, baked bread meets fresh mint. Odd, but refreshing, just the way I liked it. The rain stopped and day turned to night. I felt a shiver go down my spine as darkness surrounded me. I was awake. Opening my eyes I felt a sting, and with that, I was back to reality.