Before I met you. | Teen Ink

Before I met you.

By DylanMitchell GOLD, Searsmont, Maine
DylanMitchell GOLD, Searsmont, Maine

They told me I couldn't fall in love overnight, or just in a day. They told me that love was complex, and something you had to work for. I believed them too. Could such a thing as love at first sight exist? It was impossible. Nobody could be perfect for a soul as broken as mine, and nobody could mend my shattered heart. These were all things I believed, before I met you. It took you one night to steal my heart, and to take my breath away. It took you just a day, to make me fall in love with you. I've seen in you something I have not seen in others, and that my dear, is a future to look forward to. Because when I see the reflection of myself in your seafoam eyes, I am smiling. This is something I thought I had forgotten how to do long ago. Nobody before you has so quickly torn down the walls I put up, to shelter myself from the outside world. I let you do this not because the outside world no longer scares me, but because you make it beautiful. You tell me that you lack confidence, and I know this to be true, I can see it in your eyes, when you smile to the floor. But let me be the one to tell you that your hair reminds me of sunshine, and your smile is imprinted in my mind. Before I met you, they told me I couldn't fall in love overnight, or just in a day. Thank you for proving them wrong.