A Writer's Caper | Teen Ink

A Writer's Caper

January 5, 2018
By RealisticOptimistic BRONZE, Humboldt, South Dakota
RealisticOptimistic BRONZE, Humboldt, South Dakota
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
If I had a quarter for every time someone asked me for words of wisdom, I'd have enough money to pay for their funeral.


Eyes fixated on the blank and empty piece of paper.
A pencil's graphite tip resting on the page, yearning to move.
But how can a pencil move if the hand holding it has no inspiration to make it dance?
Writing is an outlet for pent-up emotions and creativity, but what happens when both are no longer trapped inside?
The pencil that once fox trotted away your troubles must store away its dancing shoes and hope for its partner to return.  
The paper will find its way back to a dusty desk drawer and patiently wait for you.
They do not know why you stopped doing the waltz with them, only you know.
Was it lack of time, self-doubt, or loss of interest?
Perhaps even you do not know why you left the dance floor.
But one day you will slip on your dancing shoes and quickstep with them again.
When will you tap dance with paper and pencil again?


The author's comments:

Middle school was a time in my life I used writing to help cope with issues when no one was able to listen. I never stopped writing, the pencil would never leave my hand. But when I reached high school, my interest in writing disappeared. Writers go through periods of not wanting to write, and I decided to write about it.