falling | Teen Ink

falling

December 14, 2017
By sammyindahouse BRONZE, Redmond, Oregon
sammyindahouse BRONZE, Redmond, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." -Dalai Lama XIV


She was like autumn


Illuminating the sky with colors of vibrant orange and fiery red. Piercing your eyes. Pumpkin spice. Embracing your freezing fingertips. Wrapping your world in ideas of change, a blanket of warm intentions. It was as if she was everything you ever wanted to know. Or all you had ever known. She took you without warning and admired everything you were. Street lights, blazing. Unaware. Her fingers grace the back of your neck. Tickling baby hairs. Skin so fair. Transparent enough to see the light she kept inside. How lovely it was that she wanted to know you. A pink abyss of the brisk night sky. Like watching the world from the top of her world. Alone but never really. Fearless anticipation. Sweet sunset. Fragrant intimidation. She’ll let you in. She’ll let you see. Into the deep of her olive eyes. Smoky forest green. She’ll love you. She’ll whisper to you through the wind, into your ears.


And when you smile and look back at her


She will have already


Disappeared.


The author's comments:

I have always been in love with autumn, more than any other season that exists. It is so mysteriously beautiful, full of both death and life, gray skies and vibrant, loud color. I was actually driving around while I wrote this, through piles of leaves on long, farm roads (I spoke it into my phone, don't worry!). It was so silent and calm, foggy and threatening rain. I could not help but find peace within myself, even in the middle of one of my typically very stressful and overwhelming days. Every time I reread this poem, I find that again. And I need that, every moment of my life.