KY,TN,VA,WA,MO | Teen Ink

KY,TN,VA,WA,MO

December 18, 2017
By Sara20 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
Sara20 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I’m from a box filled with stuffed animals and magic treehouse books.
I’m from marbled birthday cake with coins hidden inside.
I’m from lazy days spent reading chapter books on the porch with my stomach full of coffee cake and chocolate milk.
I’m from that old wooden deck riddled with splinters waiting to grab my feet.
I’m from army bases and waking up at 4 O’clock in the morning to go march with my dad and his platoon of marvelous soldiers.
I’m from oozing chocolate chip pancakes with whip cream smileys on Sundays from grandma.
I’m from a soldier, dressed in green, taking me to daycare every day.
I’m from whispers, so we don’t wake up momma (she worked a twelve-hour shift).
I’m from hide and seek and abandoned games of monopoly.
I’m from smells of pot roast after Sunday school, and the feel of my grandmother's hand wrapped around mine in prayer.


The author's comments:

This poem is supposed to reflect how I grew up, and what shaped me as a person. I wanted to show this poem to more people as a reminder of where they came from. if you forget where you came from, you'll never get to where you're trying to go.