A Battle Not Won | Teen Ink

A Battle Not Won

By sarold BRONZE, SOUDERTON, Pennsylvania
sarold BRONZE, SOUDERTON, Pennsylvania

“And there comes a time in your life when you realize that if you don't take the opportunity to be happy, you may never get another chance again.” -Richard Russo, Empire Falls

I want to tell you a story
It’s the story of a little girl who wanted nothing more than to play music
Her elementary school stuck a clarinet in her hands and let her play to her heart’s content
The school was so proud of the music students, they would announce their concerts and their achievements frequently
Music was a part of her education, and she was happy
Her middle school also let her play, but something had changed. Something was different. Something was wrong.
Kids stopped playing, they dropped out
They started announcing sports games and sports awards, even if music won an award too
Other students started picking on the music kids
Kids stopped playing, they dropped out
The school started making cuts to the music program, they didn’t seem very proud anymore
She was losing music in her education, and she was sad
Her high school let her play, but they would do anything to stop her from doing so
They wanted her to take what they thought were more useful classes
Physics instead of music theory
Calculus instead of band
Kids stopped playing, they dropped out
She didn’t give up though, she fought them but she was far from winning
Music stands were falling apart, instruments couldn’t carry a tune, the marching band couldn’t make it to away games, color guard couldn’t get any gym time, and choir was in desperate need of concert attire
Kids stopped playing, they dropped out
It didn’t take her long to figure out why things were this way
When the football team got new equipment for seemingly no reason at all, she knew was was going on
Music was hardly a part of her education, and she was angry
A U.S Army General once said:
“What a tragedy it would be if we lived in a world where music was not taught to children.”
She lost the battle for music in her school
All she wanted to do was play music, and she was treated like she was inferior because she did
So she stopped playing, and she dropped out
And she never played another note