You Said it was Stupid | Teen Ink

You Said it was Stupid

By Fauty BRONZE, Flanders, New Jersey
Fauty BRONZE, Flanders, New Jersey

"Don't fall asleep yet, contrary to popular belief that's not where dreams get accomplished" - George Watsky

Yesterday you showed me a poem you wrote. “Here” you said. “It’s just something I came up with, it’s stupid”. And I thought to myself well if it’s so stupid then why show me.

The day before that you told me about your collection. You told me how you kept the fortune from the center of the fortune cookies from your childhood pinned up on the wall right above your bed. “It’s stupid, I know” you said to me. And I thought to myself well if it’s so stupid why tell me about it.

Last night you told me about your life. You told me you can never find the time to do anything you’re interested in because of school and work and everything in between. “ it’s boring and stupid” you told me. And I thought to myself well if it’s so stupid then why not change it.

Finally I came to a conclusion. If your work is stupid, and your hobbies are stupid, and your life is stupid, then you must be stupid.

So I looked up the word stupid to see if you fit the bill and here’s what I found,

Stupid- having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.

But something wasn’t right, the equation didn’t add up, to say you were stupid in this definition was to say you didn’t belong. So I retraced my steps, and I quickly found the issue. We’ve already concluded you are stupid so our definition must be wrong.

I took it upon myself to fix the issue webster had created, now when you look up stupid in the dictionary you will find the word translated.

Stupid- To be afraid to show your passion for what you believe in.

So now when you show off your piece of art and call it stupid, everyone will know exactly what you mean.

I hope this piece inspires you to share your own work and not be afraid of what other people think of it. Be confident not only in yourself but in what you are passionate about.