Joy of Fishing | Teen Ink

Joy of Fishing

By jrod_988 BRONZE, Pasco, Washington
jrod_988 BRONZE, Pasco, Washington

A long trek to a spot.                                                                                                                 Fishing poles with tangling fishing line and a sharp hook near my body in one hand.                A heavy wobbly tackle box on the other.                                                                                  The walk had been far away from common ground.                                                                                The sights of tall, lush evergreens and mighty jagged mountains with bright snow caps on my left.                                                                                                                                                        The sight of the orange and crimson sunrise shining upon the vast, mirror-like lake on my right. An opening I see that has a walkway to fishable spot on the water.                             Taking in the beauty and peace of gods creations, feeling a sense of warmth and peace.        Time to get to the fun part…

Removing the sharp hook from the rods eyes, followed by its friends weight and swivel.        Along with the fishing line holding their relationship together.                                                    One more member must be present to lead to success.                                                             His name is bait.                                                                                                                        He was in a small white Styrofoam bowl with a lid.                                                                       Inside the lid was a colony of slimy snake-like undesirables and a scoop of earth.                                 My hand reaches in to pull out an unlucky worm out of the dirt.                                                   Time for the last member to be a part of the team.                                                                             The sharp hook impales the rookie twice with him struggling to get off.                                         The main event was about to take place.

Looking over to see the perfect spot to cast the family in.                                                                A smooth calm piece of water is present in front of me, where the slight current stops in a small smooth piece with no current, perfect for deep spots where the predatory fish lurk.                     I cast into the desired spot, hoping I had it my target spot.                                                              Perfect.                                                                                                                                               A splash upon the water, line being pulled from spool, and it stops.                                    Time to wait.                                                                                                                                  Patience becoming a virtue.                                                                                                   Minutes have gone by, but beautiful sights of water keeping me occupied.                    Suddenly…

A slight tap on the rod tip.                                                                                                          Pupils dilate, heart starts beating, a big dopamine rush comes in.                                             The slight tap becomes some strong pulls, and the rush of excitement becomes greater.            In a hurry, I set the hook with a strong yank.                                                                                                 I can feel the mighty fight on the end of the line, as I reel in excitement.                                            The reel screams its drag sound as I’m fighting the fish.                                                                        A bright silver creature emerges above the water and splashes a glorious splash.                                    I get a major adrenaline rush and slight anxiety of losing the beautiful fish.

As the fish moves in closer, I can see its bright silver glow in the clear green water.                    The creature was an enormous, pretty rainbow trout with its dark spots and pink and green highlights, and bright silver body.                                                                                              The magnificent creature was now exhausted from the fight and I was able grab it with ease.      I removed the hook from its mouth.                                                                                                     I take in its glorious beauty for another moment.                                                                               I release the fish back into its own environment.                                                                              The trout swims back into the deep open water, never to be seen again.                                               Let’s do that again.

I have always loved everything about fishing that can be so fun and exciting. I just wanted to share what my experiences with are typically like