Building Blocks | Teen Ink

Building Blocks

By Simi8192 SILVER, South Plainfield, New Jersey
Simi8192 SILVER, South Plainfield, New Jersey

"Life is not about finding yourself. It is about creating yourself."

I am from the impossible probability that my parents falling in love with each other was as likely as having a winning lottery ticket.  Their successful arranged marriage tied them through love and happiness that didn’t seem to tie other arranged marriages around me.

I am from a bath of chlorinated water that never forgets to fill up my pores and strangle my breath as I swim and swim until I can’t anymore.

I am from  crunchy cucumbers. Ripe, sliced, and diced cucumbers that  refreshed our mouths after long days of chasing each other endlessly in the garden

I am from the comfort of books. Each book is a  glorified gracious galaxy and opening up one carries the secrets of it's  captivating, heartwarming, and spine-tingling story.
.

I am from endless summer days, squeezing my hands tighter and tighter onto faded chains and a floppy piece of plastic , hearing “Go higher! Go higher!” as the wooden frame of the playhouse shakes and shakes under me.

I am from the cadence of a drum. The choreographed dance of the drumsticks that make a booming, repetitive, rhythmic tune that you can feel in your stomach as you and 60 members of your closest friends yell in celebration.

I am from a town that may as well be a random suburb that only John Green would use in a novel with no memorable places, only memorable faces.