Dance in the Rain | Teen Ink

Dance in the Rain

By RachelElisabeth BRONZE, Sorrento, Florida
RachelElisabeth BRONZE, Sorrento, Florida
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value." --Thomas Paine

I can taste the rain falling over my skin,
Laughing over scars that were once glaring wounds,
Tickling my neck,
now sore from screaming declarations no one wanted to hear,
and bruised from the bitter taste of rejection.
I can feel the storm humming in my veins with each sonata of lighting and every sonnet of thunder,
It growls for the promise that was never made,
Punctuated by rain drops that dissolve on my tongue as wishes and dreams and aspirations that were uttered and conceived,
but never fortunate to meet the morning.
I am dancing in the puddles,
In the neighborhood of fallen, lost hopes,
Soaking myself in messages from the sky—now read.
I am soaked by the epiphanies of release and the sweet-bittersweet-sour smell of precipitation-perspiration.
I am stifled by the umbrellas they hold out,
offering shelter as if they believe it is what I need most,
as if they can fix the hurricanes and ravages with a seemingly kind gesture,
A motion that stops my tongue from tasting sorrow,
my ears from hearing the frustrated roars,
my eyes from seeing the constant, everlasting plummet.
I want to taste the rain,
feel the storm,
hear the calamity,
to fear the bickering clouds and unharnessed power behind dark skies.
I want to bask in the beauty of destruction,
to recognize the glories with grief,
the tortures with triumph,
the apologies with acceptance.
It is too much to be burned by the sunshine,
dried out and enervated by beating,
demanding,
imposing rays,
To be blinded by exhaustive radiance and proclamations of righteousness,
squinting and overheated and blistered with conquests headed for open waters with closed minds.
Let me wear my veils of anguish and drown in sobs that are mine and not mine,
Let the rain drops break in veins and jagged fingers down my cheeks so I can't tell them from my tears or my sweat.
Let me dance in the rain.

"Dance in the Rain" was a product both of my love for watching the rain and my intent to spread the message of triumph and tribulation. Life's challenges often seem nothing but hopeless, but there is always a silver lining. It's hard to appreciate anguish and agony, but sometimes it's these challenges that make us even stronger. What takes us to our weakest moments can bring us to our strongest successes. 

evelyn said...
Rachel, I love the imagery your poem expresses. I also enjoy watching the rain. I like the calmness that the rain gives. The emotions you share is so powerful and relatable. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to viewing more of your work.

on Aug. 1 2017 at 12:30 am
Lovely poem. A great deal of truth in the message. The rain I look at is probably the same as yours!

1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Thank you for your comment. I too have been in a situation where I felt utterly hopeless. It means a lot to me to know my words can have an impact.

Grateful said...
There was a challenging time when I felt like life wasn't worth living. I am stronger now for having experienced it. What seemed so hopeless then ranks as unimportant today! Your poem spoke volumes to me! I hope to see more of your writings in the future.