Human Nature | Teen Ink

Human Nature

June 7, 2017
By celeste123 BRONZE, Newcastle, California
celeste123 BRONZE, Newcastle, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

What decides one's identity isn't what is shown on the outside.

people don't put their most private, precious thoughts out on display,

rubies and silk ain't sold in yard sales.

you can't see into one's mind by looking into their eyes,

you have to learn the game to win the prize.

its up to the other person in a sense; that is if your on the outside, looking in.

one can pick and choose what they'll tell you,

maybe they'll only select a few memories to take out of their brain's vault, and let you have access to.

humans are selective, for the most part,

not every love will tell you their experiences with it,

the color of one's eyes won't show you the colors of the waters they've swam in, or the sunsets they've met.


The author's comments:

I was inspired to write this poem as I thought about how humans work, and our social behaviors, and tendancies. I feel like behind every pair of eyes is a million beautiful memories, and stories untold, so in a sense, everyone, and their experiences and indivual knowledge are like treasure chests. There's so much to everyone, so many things to be discovered in each person. I hope after reading this poem, one will be able to recognize, or acknowledge the idea that everyone has so much value, and worth below the surface, and to hopefully gain a more full compassion, and appreciation for others.