Hurt. | Teen Ink

Hurt.

June 2, 2017
By ClaireePearl SILVER, Bonham, Texas
ClaireePearl SILVER, Bonham, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we know all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?But am I talking too much? People are always telling me I do. Would you rather I didn't talk? If you say so I'll stop. I can STOP when I make up my mind to it, although it's difficult.”
― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables


They told me I had an old soul.

And one day I would grow into it.

They did not tell me that one day I would have to live outside my own body to survive the circumstance of everyday life.

I did not know I would have to cut out my own heart and sever my own coat of arms to stand on my own.

After everyone listens the the pages I preach of my book of life, they have to ask my age again.

My anguish and heartache has become a modern conversation piece around the staffroom and the Sunday Potluck.

It’s a sharp black piece of choking onyx, twisted in odd forms of negative space. Created by solidifying in the gaps of my shattered world that kept me together.
 

I don’t need it anymore, but I take it out now and then to remind myself where I am and where I’ve been.

My heart is regrowing, developing a stronger scar tissue over the old wound, but sometimes they still bleed.

I have to build up my anger some days just to power through the pain. Just know all of that is directed inward, any of the backlash wasn’t intended for you.

I’m sorry that I cannot be just 18 and beautiful. I’m sorry that you cannot understand. But I love you for trying.

Please,

Don’t give up on me.

I am just one person.

I have been hurt.

I’m not always okay.

This kind of hurt doesn’t go away,

but if you can stay,

I know I can work through the pain,

 

At least today.


The author's comments:

Inspired by the Johnny Cash I've been listening to and the progress I've make working through an abusive relationship.

 

This is for the people in my life right now, just dealing with me as I deal with this. I would never say this out loud in my own life. So being able to write this out is huge for me.

 

I hope this makes you feel something and that you'll listen to whatever that feeling is. Most importantly, dont give up on yourself.