Things They Say About a Writer This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

they say, a writer should keep her feet planted on the floor. the soles of her shoes should not leave the linoleum tile. she must hold onto something to keep herself grounded, grip onto the bathroom counter hard enough to see her knuckles turn white. or else she will float away, she'll float right up into the clouds. before you know it she'll be living in her daydreams, so far into her head she won't be able to hear a word that you say to her no matter how loud you scream, no matter how many times you snap your fingers in front of her face, no matter how many times you tell her to stop being so delusional. she'll marry these delusions, wear a dress whiter than the wisps of clouds she uses as a throne, and you won't be invited to the wedding. no, they say, a writer needs to look into her own eyes at least once a day. she needs to see herself standing in the mirror, it will help her feel real, it will help her stay grounded.
a writer tends to focus too much on the little things, they say. to a writer, the tiniest things are the larger-than-life things, she will craft entire worlds out of empty mailboxes and gravel driveways, she will get lost in the cornmazes of her own metaphors. remind her that dreams don't always come true. like she hasn't heard it a million times before, like the weekly lesson in her creative writing class wasn't always how you can't just scribble "writer" on your tax forms, like they don't always want to know what she'll do if she isn't good enough, how will she support herself writing stanzas with strict rhyme schemes. remind her that sestinas won't satiate her hunger and that sonnets won't pay the bills, remind her that every novel can't be number one, that not every writer will succeed.
writers, they say, need a reminder sometime. make sure her feet stay planted on the floor. make sure she stays grounded.

Anon said...
today at 2:34 pm
Awesome ! :)