Postcards | Teen Ink

Postcards

By learyj17 BRONZE, Saratoga Springs, New York
learyj17 BRONZE, Saratoga Springs, New York

"You can only fit so many words on a postcard"

and I hate that feeling when you know what to say, but can't. When you know the thoughts, but not the way to convey them. When I write a postcard, I want to give the details of the place I'm at. But you can't fit the way a place makes you feel on a postcard. You can't explain the way the sun reflecting off the ocean onto your tired skin makes you feel. The chills you get from jumping in the water and getting whisked away by the waves. You can't explain the strange sense of belonging you feel when you're in the middle of a busy street, in a country other than your own. The way in which I can't explain how traveling to a new place makes me feel, is the same as how I feel when I can't convey my feelings toward you. My words don't do justice to my mind, just as the postcard won't do justice to the places I've been. Because you can only fit so many words on a postcard.

I was inspired by a Sarah Kay quote, included at the begining of my poem. I love postcards, and collected them as a child, and I find the deeper meaning they csan have within them so fascinating.