Day of Silence | Teen Ink

Day of Silence

By Sword0fPoetry PLATINUM, Bonney Lake, Washington
Sword0fPoetry PLATINUM, Bonney Lake, Washington

There are two ways to spread light; to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. ~Edith Wharton

I find it equally humorous and heartbreaking that when you show your silence you become a target.
Not the boring kind of target that sits there and takes whatever is thrown at it.
The kind of target that everyone wants to hit, the moving one.
The target that reacts to the projectiles launched at it.

People who have seen you without the tape have treated you well because they did not know.
But for some reason, putting on that tape and showing a little of your true colors brings out the worst in people.
They spew foul words your way like a crude version of the circus act with the person on the wheel and the knife thrower getting so close yet not hurting them.
This version of the act is where the goal is to hit that person for the entertainment of others.

Granted, I have received “Good Luck” and “Thank You” from a number of people.
But the looks of disgust and rude diction muttered under breath are beyond infuriating.
I apologize for not being the individual that you are.
A baboon with a single digit IQ and I’m sorry for having to insult the baboon in such a way.

On Day of Silence I purposefully mark myself to support those who cannot wear the tape in fear of what’s to come.
I seek to be the hand on their shoulder to ensure them it’ll be alright.
So do not mock me simply because your cowardice is at its peak.