Equality | Teen Ink

Equality

April 30, 2017
By sadiecollins BRONZE, Fort Myers, Florida
sadiecollins BRONZE, Fort Myers, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Every little thing is gonna be alright." -Bob Marley


Equality-the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities. This is something we as humans have struggled to achieve as long as we have existed. But why do we struggle to accomplish something that can summed up in almost 10 words. It’s a simple concept, we are all equal. Sexist boys have been brainwashed in our society to believe they are better than others, disrespecting their mothers. The word feminism itself is sexist. He definition of feminism is:  equality of the sexes. So why is it geared toward females. Yes I am female but I will not only fight for myself, but for all sexes and races and religions. I wish that one day if I have children of my own they won’t have to live in such a sexist and racist world and hopefully they will be judged for what’s inside instead of out. Because at the end of the day all of our hearts beat the same. And to be treated as if others are superior is honestly a shame. There needs to be rights and respect for everyone without a difference. And its sick to think most people would rather remain voiceless than to fight for their rights and make progress in our society. Because “no freedom till we're equal, damn right I support it.” (Macklemore & Ryan Lewis) We live in a world where some kids would rather kill themselves than be who they are. Excuse my vulgar words, but our f***ed up society is ripping them apart. We are the only ones who can change us. Don’t just think it, take action. Make a difference in the world fired up with compassion. How do expect to advance in this world without working together. We aren't safe from differences but we can at least make it safe to be apart of diversity. Start speaking up instead of feeling self pity. Because in the end we all share the same love.


The author's comments:

This was inspired by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’s song “Same Love” featuring Mary Lambert