Old Winter Memories | Teen Ink

Old Winter Memories

April 26, 2017
By MikeF BRONZE, Westwood, Massachusetts
MikeF BRONZE, Westwood, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Old Winter Memories

Small white snowflakes fall slowly to cover the frozen dead grass.
Lingering Silent by the window I watch the snow fall.
The urge to play outside swells inside my head.

My brothers and I woke up earlier that morning. Jumping out of bed with energy. We had a snow day. A day where we could sleep until 10 and go outside to do our winter tradition. We race to the window. Not having a care in the world about anything around us. Fighting to get the first view of snow. We shoved, kicked, pushed each other so we could get a view of pure happiness. Finally it was my turn. Stretching my body as tall as I could, while up on my tippy toes. “I can’t see, I can’t see”.

The excitement was erupting within me.
Running down the stairs, jumping, and laughing.
I am finally outside, finally outside.

We sprint outside, no shoes, no socks, no coats. Just our shorts and T-shirts. Thinking back to it, it was a horrible idea, but it sure was fun. We run through the stacks of snow, feeling nothing at first, but then we could feel a sharp pain. My brothers and I were so cold. We decided to keep running around in the snow, making snow ball and whipping them at each other.

The breeze breathes a chill on the back of our necks.
The frost bite nibbles at our skin.
Winter is here and is not far from over.

Screaming how cold it was. We decide to sprint back to the house. Running as fast as we could to get to somewhere warm. It was almost a competition. Who could get in the house first.

The heat inside the house stings our skin.
The warm blankets feels of a sauna.
Yet we are warm, It is time for Hot Chocolate.

We looked inside the mug and could feel the heat steaming toward our faces, clearing our noses. We can see the soft marshmallows swimming around in the small pool of chocolate.

The times are short
The memories last long
I'm just glad those memories were with my brothers.


The author's comments:

This piece is some memories of old times I used to have with my brothers when we were younger.