Needy | Teen Ink

Needy

By midnightmetanoia PLATINUM, Gaithersburg, Maryland
midnightmetanoia PLATINUM, Gaithersburg, Maryland

"Soon madness has worn you down. It’s easier to do what it says than argue. In this way, it takes over your mind. You no longer know where it ends and you begin. You believe anything it says. You do what it tells you, no matter how extreme or absurd. If it says you’re worthless, you agree. You plead for it to stop. You promise to behave. You are on your knees before it, and it laughs."
— Marya Hornbacher

i need you to kiss me like
you've never kissed anyone
before and show me that
everything will be okay.

i need you to play with my hair and

make me feel beautiful.

i need you to hug me so tight you put
all my broken pieces back
together.

i need to feel your touch
against my scarred and fragile
skin.

i need you to hold my hand
and make me believe that this life
is worth living.

i need you to
love me the way that i love
you.

on Mar. 29 2017 at 5:30 pm
quillwriting GOLD, Mesa, Arizona
I think that the unprofessional aesthetic works with this piece. It's a sad, and for lack of a better word, pathetic poem. That's what you were going for, of course, titling the poem Needy. You did a good job. (Also, if you have time, maybe you could check out my other pieces and leave some feedback please?)

on Mar. 27 2017 at 8:57 am

— Marya Hornbacher

Thank you, I really appreciate that! I actually tend to use all lowercase letters in my poetry, partially because I find it more aesthetically appealing, and partially because I feel it makes it seem more genuine and less formal. I've gotten some criticism for it though (from English teachers of course) because they say it makes it look rushed and unprofessional. I like it though so I've refused to change it haha :)

on Mar. 26 2017 at 6:41 pm
quillwriting GOLD, Mesa, Arizona
I like your use of all lowercase letters; it makes the poem feel more authentic in my opinion.