Don't Be A Writer | Teen Ink

Don't Be A Writer

By AbbyRobinson SILVER, Jeffersonville, Kentucky
AbbyRobinson SILVER, Jeffersonville, Kentucky

Never be a writer for you’ll analyze things too much. You’ll analyze people’s word like it’s their DNA. Their faces like the pages of your favorite book. You won’t be able to take someone straight forward because to you there’s always a hidden message or meaning.
You’ll find it hard to trust because only you know that what the author says is almost never what he means. You know that the actions speak louder than the dialogue. You know there’s almost always a secret bad guy.
You’ll find it hard to fall in love and stay in love because you’re too creative and spontaneous. You write of perfect love stories so that’s what you'll seek for and never find. You look for someone who is as worthy of your time as your poetry because no one is more important than that. You’ll look for someone who’s barely real, too perfect to be true and then you’ll end it because you don’t like cliches.
Don’t be a writer. It’s hard to find a place. Somewhere you belong, somewhere safe. You’ll start build your own world in your mind that you’ll only ever visit in your dreams and on your paper. This is where you’ll call home and you’ll say you’ll let it go when someone finds you. But it’s hard find someone in a world they aren’t allowed in because as a writer you tend to erase the things you don’t want to hear or see.
You’ll never be able to watch movies because you always figure out the ending just from the first ten minutes. You’ll never know the joy of being surprised because you can read people’s minds like open books. You know all the storylines and you can’t be fooled. You’ll .never be happy no matter how grand something is. Because in your head and on the paper you’ll always imagine it better more bright more beautiful more exotic more perfect.
Writer’s are perfectionists. They work and work to make everything just right. The smallest details before they even think about finishing a piece. They put every syllable in the right place, every pause at the right time and not a second longer, make sure there are enough metaphors and no run on sentences. Add alliteration, and onomatopoeia or two just for effect. Make sure you have hidden meanings and unrealistic characters that make people fall in love just by hearing the description. You try so hard and do so much to write a piece that shakes the world. The world you’ve distanced yourself from, the world you’re no longer a part of, the world may never even hear what you have to say. You'll put so much time and effort into something so beautiful that doesn't even know you exist.
So please, i’m begging you, whatever you do, don't be a writer.

I wrote this piece because I realized because people are writers we tend to interact with people in certain similar ways. We see the world a little different from everyone else because of our imaginations and ability to visualize almost everything with some form of beauty. But since we are so different its hard to get everyone to understand what we see and what we're thinking. I think our talent can take away from a lot of things people who don't write enjoy a lot. Like movies and dates because we can see how they happen in our head like a story book and it's hard to enjoy something so much when you know what is going to happen.