One Billion Hungry Mouths | Teen Ink

One Billion Hungry Mouths

By Serenda PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Serenda PLATINUM, Nashotah, Wisconsin

They are the only ones who know true pain. I am the only one who hears them. One billion hungry mouths with empty bellies and skinny ribs. One billion lives who are struggling everyday. One billion bodies left behind. From our homes, we acknowledge them, but we sit with our full bellies and ignore their cries out for help.
Their lives are known. They pray for change in their life. They get skinnier and malnutritioned and grow weaker every blazing hot day and their faces turn to the dry sky looking for a sign of hope. This is how they survive.
Let one not forget their reason for living, they’d all be birds flying freely through the sky, each with a destination ahead of them. Help, help, help they say to the world. They beg.
When we are healthy and are to able to help, when we are the miracle to other people’s lives, then the one million hungry mouths lessen. When there is no hope. One billion continue to survive. One billion who live and do not give up on living. One billion whose only way of life is to starve and starve.