Walking, Walking, Walking | Teen Ink

Walking, Walking, Walking

By Terrace SILVER, Olathe, Kansas
Terrace SILVER, Olathe, Kansas

A late afternoon, the perfect time to take my dog on a walk.  Opening the closet door, Emma jumps in excitement ready to go.
Emma is running and leading me out the door to the end of my street. Emma begins to calm down. So I walk...
Taking a different path than normal, Emma sniffs the ground for any evidence of other four-legged animals.  So I walk...
Cars slowly moving, looking at Emma. I smell the scent of fresh air as I move along. I notice the light breeze as the leaves wrestle to see who falls next.  So I walk...
I hear all sorts of bugs buzzing along. Emma's collar is clinging as I see a colorful butterfly fluttering away from us. So I walk...
I notice some kids laughing in the tree, and hear the leaves crunching under my feet. So I walk...
The sky has a few clouds and the sight of an airplane made everyone else look up. So I walk...
I smelled the fresh wood on a newly painted on a newly painted fence and I slowed down a little bit to absorb more of the new wood.  So I walk...
Upon our return I hear the humming of an air conditioner. Then at last, we are at our sweet and cozy home.