We Will Overcome | Teen Ink

We Will Overcome

December 7, 2016
By isuess GOLD, Oakland, California
isuess GOLD, Oakland, California
12 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You must not ever stop being whimsical. And you must not, ever, give anyone else the responsibility for your life."


The result roars in my head. It doesn’t come in waves- it’s constant static.
A constant reminder- a constant fear.
I cried the most I ever have in my life that night.
Tears dripped, dropped into a pool of millions united across the country in shock
-turning to hugs and then to sorrow.


They say there are five stages of grief- denial, anger, bargaining, depression,
And then acceptance.
But I think that this is a different kind of mourning- because I don’t know about you, but I sure as hell will never be ready for acceptance.
I have spent long days and nights and 2 am thoughts mourning those who fought the good fight for so long and are going to see all of their hard work undone.
I have mourned those who have lost their fire along the way, turning to that one final word- acceptance


After the initial numbness faded, fiery pain burned and that anger dug a hole deep inside of me.
I’m working to fill it with hope.
Because now I’m done mourning. I’m done being angry.
I crave the first glimmer of that light at the end of the tunnel.
I’m ready to rise above the static and have the voice of hope be heard- I’m ready for the future and I’m prepared to fight for it- for my future and the future of America.
Because we need a land of the free and a land of the brave- not a land of cowardice.
That’s what prejudice is- it is cowardice.
I need a brave new world- yearn for it.
But I can’t do it while sticking to the five f***ing stages of grief.
There’s a light at the end of this tunnel, and if I can’t find it I’ll strike the match myself.
I’ll chase down that bright future on foot.
Stride over stride, I will never stop.


The author's comments:

The U.S. election results hit me pretty hard. Please be respectful.