the howler | Teen Ink

the howler

By maddy.57 BRONZE, Gr, Michigan
maddy.57 BRONZE, Gr, Michigan

It was summer and i was finally at camp, i’d been waiting all year we’d done lots of fun things here but this,tis made me fear.

There was a ride, a ride everyone had tried,well everyone but i. They said come on just try its merry, we’d never lie. I said i don’t know that goes pretty high, i’m not a bird i don’t belong high, way up in the sky. I frantically said you must all be demented if you even THINK i would try.

I finally came around, i buckled up and sat down , i was shaky, i felt so achy,  i decided i must be crazy, i couldn't bare it, i got back off. They went without me i felt so lost, and then the urge to try subjugated me and i thought i would regret it.

I got on the ride, as soon as i did i was petrified, i was screaming, and crying and holding on for what felt like my own dear life and we went up, and up and up for what seemed like miles and then…( i was just a LOT scared of heights and had never been on an amusement ride EVER) the rope was let go and in a sudden whoosh we were off it  seemed like falling and only mere seconds after the rope was let go... i slipped out of my seat and i thought i was surely dead and then the pain of the harness kicked in because my harness was the only thing holding me up at that point(i wouldn’t be able to get it back under me until the ride had only seconds left).

We had swung and swung for so long that i was sure i was going to die in fact when we  got off i started to cry. My body was motionless when i finally got back on the ground.

I did what i hoped i would, now i’ll hopefully be a little less scared when i go back next year but in the meantime… i will NOT be doing anymore stunts like that(well for now anyways…).  

this event changed me