Historical Figure | Teen Ink

Historical Figure

By blackhawks98 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
blackhawks98 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

The summer after eighth grade my family and I moved from Georgia to Wisconsin. Ever since the move, I have enjoyed the environment and am grateful for the friends I have met. However, I am polar opposite when it comes to football. I am a Chicago Bears fan. Always have been, always will be. I cannot not root for my friend’s beloved Packers. There was one player I was introduced to ever since I could say, “Da Bears!” and his name is Walter Payton.
Although he passed away in 1999, I feel like I could become a better person after even a brief conversation with him. I have always wanted to ask him, “How it felt not scoring in Super Bowl 20? How often did you do your hill workouts? Or What kept you motivated to keep playing for 13 years?”
Payton has a yearly award named after him called, “The Walter Payton Man Of The Year Award.” This award goes out to one person in the NFL each year who is recognized for their great attitude and their generous actions towards their community.
In his 13 years as an NFL running back Payton missed one game...because he had the flu. This shows the kind of dedication he put into his career as a player. I would die to one day get to meet my role model, Walter Payton  aka: (SWEETNESS).