I LOve Sailing | Teen Ink

I LOve Sailing

November 14, 2016
By shakespearewriter BRONZE, Dedham, Massachusetts
shakespearewriter BRONZE, Dedham, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

I love Sailing. I love skimming across the water as the wind pushes my boat forward. I love getting to know my competitors, and I love crushing them in them in the Windward Fleet Race. I love the heel of the boat when I go fast, the quick jibes, and graceful turns. I love the battle between the hot sunbeams burning my back and the cool, electrifying water drenching me. I love the immense, black waves that send my boat leaping through the misty air. I love the smooth feeling of control and the stressful excitement when the Main sheet gets caught on the transom and someone has to go untangle it before it capsizes.


I love having command over the boat. I love crewing, and I love giving orders when it’s my turn to skipper. I love sailing Beam Reach, Close Hauled, Broad Reach, Wing on Wing and everything in between. I live for the moment when I catch a powerful gust of wind that sends my boat charging into the horizon. I love the pungent smell of exhaust from the skiffs. I love losing to a great component, and I love the look on that someone's face when I slowly pass him on leeward heel, crossing the finish line two feet ahead of him!


The author's comments:

I have been sailing for 7 years and am very passionate about it. I love the stress and excitement it can bring, but also the calmenness  of it, which can be very relaxing. There are so many takeaways from it and it can teach you so many things, from working in a team, to making a split descion when you need to. I reccomend it to everyone!