The True Poetry Of My Soul | Teen Ink

The True Poetry Of My Soul

November 2, 2016
By Bloopidoop1 SILVER, Virginia Beach, Virginia
Bloopidoop1 SILVER, Virginia Beach, Virginia
7 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
I like that boulder, that's a nice boulder!!!









--- Donkey


They say you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone.
To me, those are empty words… I always knew what I had.
You were the sun in the morning, the stars at night, peeking at me through the clouds like a dark blanket I’ve pulled over my head only to discover the many holes in the fabric.
You were the energy drink that got me through the day, always shocking me back to life every time I saw your face, drinking in your features like I’m a nomad lost in the desert, and I’ve stumbled across an oasis.
You were my radio, your voice my favorite song, and sometimes I’d even manage to sing along, memorizing some of your favorite sayings, those cute quotes you would use to describe your feelings.
Yes, I knew exactly what I had… But the contrast became higher once you were gone.
Because without you, there is no sunshine.
Without you, there are no stars.
Without you there’s nothing to shock me awake, nothing to drink.
Without you… there is no music. Only my pale imitation, the way I still use your favorite sayings, the way I recite your quotes.
Because they still mean something.
Because they have become the true poetry of my soul.


The author's comments:

I wrote this about a recent event in my life that left me kinda scarred and bruised. It has become my story.