The Gallery | Teen Ink

The Gallery

By chinny7712 BRONZE, Minnetonka, Minnesota
chinny7712 BRONZE, Minnetonka, Minnesota

She closes her eyes.
Opens.
The stark white of the room blares in contrast to the darkness of her mind, as she stares at the vacant walls
An empty gallery, begging to be filled with art
Aside from the emptiness, it’s beautiful
The ceiling, sprinkled with glow-in-the-dark constellations
The floors, sheltered in a carpet bound with red string
The windows, jumbled in drapes of ash and cotton candy ring pops
She finds it a pity to leave such a place of beauty so desolate, deserted, abandoned
She takes it upon herself to fill the walls, to seize the place by both hands and pour the hot tea of her soul directly out of the spout and into the cup
In this moment, she doesn’t care if any liquid drips onto the saucer
First, she fastens to the wall a purple dress to cover a bulging lump of plaster that once protruded there
She hangs a string of red lights to give a warm ambience, but the bulbs immediately spark and go dark
She hangs a bunting made of her own hair, but they start to take the form of a pale man with scars all over his face, so she tears it down and rips it to pieces
And finally, she hangs a black felt bow to tie it all together
As she drill holes into the wall, she finds a family of triatomine bugs nestled together
She places a pink satin cloth over them and leaves them be
On the floor, she positions a tremendous armchair made of black leather, until she realizes with great disdain that it covers up the stunning red-stringed carpet
She lugs it away with the greatest strength she can muster, but a great black splotch still remains where the armchair once stood
She concedes and returns the armchair to it’s previous spot on the carpet
From the ceiling, she suspends a bouquet of multicolored umbrellas
She debates over whether or not to unfasten the ties that keep the umbrellas closed
But ultimately decides they look prettier, less overwhelming, when they are shut
She takes a seat in the big leather armchair, plants her feet onto the red-stringed carpet, rests her head against the white walls, and marvels at all of the work she has completed and decides to finally go home
She examines every inch of the room only to discover that there are no doors to the outside
She closes her eyes.

This piece was primarily inspired by my own self identity and the small details that make up my personality.