My Friend, the Artist

By , Grand Rapids, MI

My friend keeps her art to herself,
covering her best work with her dad’s old shirts.
She is careful, precise,
when she draws her straight, red lines.
She slashes through her pale, freckled canvas,
creating ridges where it used to be smooth.
An expert at creating that raw texture,
she is talented, I suppose.
If only she would use a paintbrush
to make her art
instead of a knife.

LynaIsabel said...
Apr. 25 at 7:34 am
Ummm... you kind of left me speechless. I started reading the poem thinking it was about one thing and ended with the feeling that my eyes have been opened to the world. Only now do I realize that I love that feeling! This poem left me stunned at its quality and intricacy and I have no other words... Loved it!

makeupartist16This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 14 at 3:00 pm
This is a very alluring piece. The subtle darkness is nice. i like the simplicity of it.

hwoodruff98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 12 at 8:48 pm
This is a really great piece. I like the extended metaphor, although saying her cutting is her best work conflicts with the idea at the end of wishing she would stop hurting herself. I think you have a great voice. Keep writing!

hwoodruff98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 12 at 8:49 pm
If you wanted to make the piece longer, you could compare her cutting herself to carving statues or print blocks out of wood/linoleum. You'd be able to get some really good carving/cutting comparisons in there.

NimWallaceThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow. I really like this, it has a bit of darkness to it, but I like the style and symbolism. I would've liked to see a bit more description, but other than that, beautiful job!