Dad Jokes | Teen Ink

Dad Jokes

September 28, 2016
By Memegath BRONZE, Brighton, Colorado
Memegath BRONZE, Brighton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Two blood cells fell in love, but alas… It was all in vein. (wait for laughter) Life, like this joke, is kind of sad. People leave. People do bad things. It’s what we do. I wish it were different, but unfortunately I don’t have the power to change it. But what I do have the power to do is make people laugh. “Laughter is the best medicine,” they say. And they’re not far from the truth. No matter how sad you are, I believe a good placed joke can save your day.

I believe that no matter how down someone is, a joke can give them hope. There are good jokes, bad jokes, “Donald Trump is an orange” jokes. And none of them are better or worse than others. It’s about timing. Each joke has its place. Knowing how to make people laugh is not about memorizing all the jokes and making the best jokes. It’s all about knowing when to use each joke. Some jokes are particular to specific situation. Comparing the numerous types of jokes is like comparing your toiletries. You need all of them, but you don’t use all of them. After all, who would brush their teeth with a disposable razor?
I believe that a joke, no matter how crude or mean to one group of people, has a place. It may not be an honorable place, or a place with my grandparents, but it has a place. Someone somewhere needs that kind of humor in their life. I believe that a joke that’s super corny and sounds like something your dad would say has a place too. It might not seem like much, but those jokes make life just that much better.
In my mind, there are four different kinds of people when it comes to jokes; those who like jokes, those who don’t know they like jokes, those who don’t like jokes, and those who haven’t ever heard of a joke. This means that 75% of the people alive would like a rib tickler every now and again.
I believe that telling someone a joke can save a life. If someone is on their deathbed, fighting a losing battle with terminal cancer, tell them a joke. And maybe, JUST maybe, that laughter and joy will be just enough to get their cancer to go into remission. I’m not saying this is likely; just possible. It’s more likely that a joke that’s told brightens the day of someone who had plans to go home after work and end it. As sad as that reality is, it’s a reality.
I believe that when the joke is just right, the laughter doesn’t have to end. There’s always one in a million. And that one in a million when it comes to jokes is not, contrary to common belief, a perfect joke. The material of the joke is just the breading of the cake. You have to consider the icing, and the embellishments. And hell, maybe it’s an ice cream cake. Not only does the joke matter, but how and where and when the joke is told too.