geography | Teen Ink

geography

By flowergrl BRONZE, Brooklyn , New York
flowergrl BRONZE, Brooklyn , New York

“Sweet mother, I cannot weave –
slender Aphrodite has overcome me
with longing for a girl.”
-Sappho

Days like today are easy days, that’s what I call them. Not that they’re easy but they come clear, like a faucet turned on. A rushing of moments instead of a drip drop of minuets dancing down a drain. Days like today leave grey dust on finger tips, grey dust kicked up, grey dust on sandal souls. Days like this are patched grass and almost rain. And tap water. Today is a tap water day.
But half way across the world, or three quarters of the way. Honestly I was ever really good at geography, today is not an easy day. They may call it so, but today is a red dirt day and today is a concrete day. Today is a day where a big river cuts deep and runs like tap water or veins. And is contained by red dirt, or concrete. I don’t know. It’s all really the same to the eyes of a company and it’s all really the same to the blinded eyes of me.
And half way across the world, that’s what it is, probably. Today is not an easy day, it’s a day under pressure a day contained. Where minuets cannot run down a make shift drain. cause they learn that minuets mean money a penny per pound of fingers like dancers working the ground and water not running down a faucet or river or drip drop dancers, no waters not running half way across the world so so far from me. Cause its all the same to the company, and it’s all the same to me whose never been good at geography.
And half way across the world it’s not an easy day. It’s a long walk day. It’s an “I can’t learn cause I can’t pay” day. It’s a young girls last unmarried day, last unsold day. But it’s an easy day for the men with the money. And it’s all the same to the eyes of the men with the money. And it’s all the same to the blinded eyes of me, who at least got taught geography.
And somewhere across the world it’s not an easy day. It’s a day caught up in yesterday’s pain. It’s a day knowing that yesterday was and will be today. It’s a day where a drip drop day became a bomb drop day. It’s an ash charred burnt and starved day. It’s a day dismissed as yesterday by the men with the money. Cause it’s all the same in the far off eyes of the men with the money. And it’s all the same to the blinded eyes of me, who was never good at geography.
But it’s an easy day when I’m half a world away. When all those days are half a world away from me. when I don’t have to worry about my river home or my money in minuets, my penny per pound or if today I will marry or if some where’s back then will be my today. But I do have to worry, for I’m only half a world away only a day away from a not so easy day.