After Wounded Knee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

You still wear that old war paint
(angry lines slashed above your eyes)
I can feel you waiting for the battle to come
(spikes of red staining your cheeks)
There are no pawing horses now
No painted hands on their haunches
(the number of warrior souls you stole)
No noonday sun beating on bare backs
No smell of sweat and leather and bravery
Puncturing the familiar woodsmoke
(breastplates of porcupine quills, feathers in hair)
No ululations of war, yelling at fear
No singing, no dancing, no tribes, no homes
(scars left from the struggle free from the sun)
Just a drum drum drum beat
(a piece of flesh left for the Great Spirit)
Piercing through dreams.

Jakethesnake said...
This is great! Although I do not know why they called it a ''battle." It was a massacre of unarmed women and children, old and young. We simply hated the Native Americans that much.

zhlenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

this is really good 

If u hav time can u chk out my wrk

xXvannieXx said...
I loved it! the imagary was very good

MandaPerkins This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like the imagery! I find the style of this quite unique. In other words, I love it. :)

NaTivE_BeAutiE This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
oops! wow it posted twice

Nice piece, you're a very talented writer. The imagery was unique and easy to follow. Yet the style and   flow were so complex! Don't let those jealous folks comments pull you down, ;) 

Also, thank you for sharing the harsh yet true time of violation and slaughter of so many innocent men, and mostly women and children.

Many people still think Indian and think: Halloween costume or fictional movie character. But we're still here, still strong, still proud.

... (more »)

jazzy16 replied...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 2:50 pm :
 definitly agree. most people write about love or death or school but this poem is different and a nice change-up with important references. keep on writing!

BrokenInnocence said...
It's lovely. I love how you mad it deep and part of the culture of that time with so little words, yet you gave it so much meaning.

marioc said...
dude that was really good man, really enjoyed it.

teenagemutantme said...
It's okay:)

Panda500 replied...
Nov. 21, 2010 at 9:51 am :
r u kidding me teenagemutantme its soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... (more »)

IamtheStargirl said...

Chilling, heartbreaking, beautiful!!!!!! Thank you sosososososossoso much for writing and posting this!

Congratulations on getting it published :D

PieceOfMyHeart said...
One word: Powerful

Sam-E. said...
It's beautiful , yet powerful. It's not enourmous, yet meaningful. This poem is apart of history, and apart of history means that something is forever! . Good Job =] !

Edgar said...
If I were to stand on that battlefield I would have known you wrote it write. Amazing.

Lucy(: This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

so moving and eye-catching

each word is like a metphore but it makes so much sense

unbelieveable (:

check out my work toooo

Dawnheart said...
Very, very good. I love the last line!

gutairgirl said...
wow!       

dojorockergirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
this is amazing! i love it!

DeadPeopleKinndaGrlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 11:42 am:
This is reallt cool and great. Everyone plzzzzzz commment and rate my fiction articles, it means a lot to me.