Listen, My Child | Teen Ink

Listen, My Child MAG

By Bijia BRONZE, Syosset, New York
Bijia BRONZE, Syosset, New York

Listen, my child
Sit by the fire
And I will tell you a story …

They say that the sun fell one day
Ending the age of the Golden Sun
O the glorious times, the lantern
in the darkest maze
A time of laughter, music, and fields
of butter blooms
Of honor, honesty – and humanity.

That was long ago, and no more.

You know that myth
Of the golden angel
Falling into a field of blue?
Legend says the angel was so good and so bold
Even the mighty Heavens
Could not restrain such truth
Her dimmest candle was the brightest of them all
How could something so exquisite
Lead her down to the cruelest fall?

And so she began her sorrowful descent
Her flaming wings burning bright
Leaving elegant white-hot strokes
Until her fire was untimely quenched
In the sea of blue lament.

The picture of the sunset that I included to accompany this poem is purely symbolical: the setting of the "Golden Sun" is the fall of the angel into the "sea of blue lament"--that is, to say that this poem is a very grim representation of our current world.  The reason I wrote this poem was because of the shock and confusion I felt after the number of events that happened recently.  From the Paris attacks, the Nice casualties, the Dallas shooting, and to the Munich shooting--I get the sense that the world is tumbling down a very steep hill that will be very hard to climb back up.  This poem is fastforwarded to the future, in which the narrative tells the story to another (a young, inquiring child) of how the "angel" that is our world had fallen a long time ago.  The narrator depicts a world where the sun has set on humankind because of the absence of three very crucial things: empathy, love, and humanity.  I hope that everyone who reads this poem will be inspired to love a little more for the greater good one step at a time, in order to overcome the differences that draw out so much hate in this world.