Atropos' Witness | Teen Ink

Atropos' Witness

By ayam_maya BRONZE, Kenmore, Washington
ayam_maya BRONZE, Kenmore, Washington

He saw the string edge backwards,

arrow thread across the sky

Time seemed to slow

He seemed to know

its quiver in his heart was...

He was skewered with wide eyes.

In Greek mythology, the three Fates controlled every mortal's destiny. The first fate, Clotho, spun the thread of life; the second, Lachesis, measured it; the third, Atropos, cut the thread, thereby choosing the time and circumstance of a person's death.

In this poem, the man can see an arrow heading straight for his heart, yet he does not move away. Was his death inevitable, fated from the start? Or, because he was conscious of the arrow's trajectory, is he responsible for his own demise?

on Jul. 22 2016 at 9:32 pm
ayam_maya BRONZE, Kenmore, Washington
Thank you so much! It's good to have feedback, I really appreciate it. Can't wait to read more of your work as well! Happy writing, Maya

on Jul. 22 2016 at 10:17 am
MissMimi BRONZE, Ashland, Oregon

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" -Mary Oliver

I forgot to mention that your title is perfection!

on Jul. 22 2016 at 10:16 am
MissMimi BRONZE, Ashland, Oregon

Wow! I love how, in so few words, you address the powerful theme of fate. The careful choice of diction (i.e. "Arrow thread") cultivates poignant imagery while simultaneously prompting readers to connect the poem to mythology, and as a result, to the question being posed. I especially love the ellipses after "it's quiver in his heart was". Beautiful use of literary device throughout, beautiful writing all around. You truly have a poet's intentional, yet lyrical voice. I look forward to reading more from you!