We Are the Ones | Teen Ink

We Are the Ones

By Kallijay BRONZE, Palisade, Colorado
Kallijay BRONZE, Palisade, Colorado

"And once the storm is over you won't remember how you made it through... You won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm's all about"
~Haruki Murakami

We are the silent ones
The ones who keep it to ourselves,
And don’t complain.
We are the ones who can’t stop thinking
But those thoughts do torturous things!

We are the ones that hide it the best:
Those scars, broken bones, sadness, the curses,
The thoughts, and even the broken hearts.
You don’t say anything
But that is only because you have been told,
“You’re the strong one, pull it together, and
Figure it out by yourself.”
But we cannot be by ourselves
Because these thoughts have done torturous things.

We are carrying a burden so heavy
That it would crush all of the hearts if
They knew what it was.
We have been
Cursed, crushed, broken, pulled closer, loved,
Cherished, forgiven, and forgotten,
But nothing seems to help these
Broken wings.

We are the one who have done
The unthinkable and the unspeakable,
But we hide it with “happiness” and “smiles.”
No one would dare to ask us
If we are depressed or truly happy,
Because you have hidden it to well
For so long that everyone has fallen under
The cult, even we (have).

But that one person,
The one that sees through your fake.
They are the one,
Who break down your walls
And are with you when you’re crying.
They are the one that you get to keep.

Then we are the ones who can truly be happy,
Because of this one person.
Who helped you, guided you, trusted you,
Believed in you, and loved you…
Now you can help
The ones who are broken.

I wrote “We Are the Ones” a few years ago when I was going through a hard time and I found myself struggling every day. I love to write and one day I sat down late at night and I just wrote and wrote. I found myself writing this poem and the words just flowed down onto the paper. In the beginning I am writing about my struggles but by the end I am realizing what people can do for me and what they have done for me. Also I write about how now I can help others get through something that I have gone through.
     This poem shows who I really was at that time and what I was feeling. Now looking back and reading this poem over and over I remember everything that was happening. These words paint a vivid picture in my mind and I think that that is what I truly wanted to do.
     By the second to last stanza I am talking about this person that came into my life and just fully cared about me. They changed my mood and my perspective about what was happening. They pulled me out of a bad time and showed me the good in the world and in my situation. Now they are a really good friend of mine and I am glad that they walked into my life.
     I want this poem to let others know that they are not the only one that is struggling and that things do get better. You just have to let someone in and let them listen. I know many people that have gone through some horrible things but they have pushed through it and now they are one of the happiest people that I know. I also wanted this poem to make people curious about what has happened but it still paints a picture in their minds. One of the most important things that I wanted the reader to remember is that once things get better for you then you have to help others get through what they are going through. Just because your problems are fixed for the moment doesn’t mean that the battle ends.